Youth Hockey Camp spots now open!
The 2007 Red Wings Youth Hockey Camp will be held in two sessions -- Aug. 10-12 and Aug. 13-15. To register call 313-396-7575.
Camp Coaching Staff:
Paul MacLean, Red Wings assistant coach: MacLean spent 11 years in the NHL playing with Detroit, Winnipeg, and St. Louis. He then moved on to coaching in 1993 and was named the Hockey News' Minor League Coach of the Year in 1994. As a head coach in the UHL he led his team, the Quad City Mallards, to the 2001 Colonial Cup championship. Before joining the Red Wings as assistant coach in 2005, MacLean spent three seasons as the assistant coach of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. In his first season there, he helped lead the Ducks to their first ever Stanley Cup Finals appearance.
|Coach Bedard instructs a group of young campers.|
Jim Bedard, Red Wings goaltending coach: Bedard finished his 10th season with the Red Wings' organization. In his position, he works with all goaltenders in the Red Wings' system, splitting time between Detroit and Grand Rapids as well as traveling to work with Detroit goaltenders throughout the minor leagues. Bedard was drafted by the Washington Capitals in 1976 and played for the Capitals' organization for five seasons, two of which were spent at the NHL level. After his time with the Capitals, Bedard traveled to Europe where he played for the TPS in Turku, Finland for 14 seasons.
Piet Van Zant, Red Wings athletic trainer: Van Zant just finished his fifth season as head athletic trainer and in his 14th season with the organization. Piet joined the staff in Detroit after spending six seasons with Detroit's AHL franchise in Glen Falls, NY. Piet received a Bachelor's degree in athletic training from Central Michigan University in 1993. Piet will teach the campers about the training techniques he uses on the Red Wings as well as take the campers on a tour of the training facilities in the Red Wings' locker room.
Russ Baumann, Red Wings assistant athletic trainer: Baumann is entering his sixth season with the Red Wings as the club's assistant athletic therapist. The Livonia native graduated from Central Michigan University with a bachelor's degree in athletic training and his Master's in physical therapy from Wayne State University. Baumann will team with Piet Van Zant to teach campers about the importance of off-ice training and proper training techniques.
On-Ice Skills and Off-Ice Activities
- Skating: Learn proper balance, agility and explosive start techniques to develop a powerful, fast stride. Become skilled at the proper use of your inside and outside edges on turns and crossovers to help maintain speed while turning.
- Puck Handling: Learn to handle and control the puck on your forehand and backhand while skating with your head up. Become skilled at controlling the puck with one hand on your stick to maximize speed while in possession of the puck.
- Shooting: Learn the fundamentals of shooting on your forehand and backhand including proper release and ideal weight transfer from your back foot to your front foot to maximize power. Become skilled at the balance, agility, and timing necessary to master the art of the one-timer.
- Passing: Learn to headman the puck right onto your teammate's stick! Become skilled at proper forehand and backhand passing techniques and learn to recognize the importance of leading your teammates with your passes.
- Goaltenders: Learn proper goalie stance, positioning, balance and recovery. Learn to be a better goalie and have fun while challenging yourself. Goalies will have one day of training with Red Wings goaltending coach Jim Bedard. During this session, goalies will practice the same drills and learn the same techniques used by world class NHL goalies such as Dominik Hasek, Curtis Joseph, Chris Osgood, and Manny Legace.
- Off Ice Conditioning: During off ice training, campers will participate in several different drills including plyometrics to increase their strength, power, and speed on the ice. Campers will perform drills to increase foot quickness and learn the importance of an off ice training program.
- Meet Red Wings' radio play-by-play announcer Ken Kal
- Receive an official Red Wings Youth Hockey Camp jersey
- Receive a 5x7 photo in front of their favorite players locker in the Detroit Red Wings locker room
Session 1 is scheduled for August 10-12. Session 2 is scheduled for August 13-15.
Price: $229 for skaters and $199 for goalies.
Must be between the ages of 7 and 14 to register.
For More Information, please call 313-396-7575.