'Hockeytown Thanks' tour is a hit
Communities throughout southeastern Michigan enjoyed surprise visits from players during unique two-day initiative
“The strength of the Red Wings brand was never more evident than during the past two days of community events,” says Senior Vice President of Marketing & Communications Craig Turnbull. “We have the best corporate partners and fans in professional sports. In a small way, Hockeytown Thanks connected our players directly with these groups, delivering memorable and surprising moments in areas where Red Wings families live and work.”
Appearances made by Red Wings players during the Hockeytown Thanks tour included:
- Nicklas Lidstrom and Valtteri Filppula preparing and serving ‘Hot & Ready’ pizzas at Little Caesars in Plymouth.
- Danny Cleary and Justin Abdelkader touring Quicken Loans Detroit headquarters and passing out cider and donuts to employees.
- Henrik Zetterberg and Jonathan Ericsson mingling with employees and giving away Red Wings game tickets to customers at the AT&T Store in Novi.
- Darren Helm and Ty Conklin stocking shelves and handing out samples of Jack Links jerky to customers at the Meijer superstore in Northville.
- Tomas Holmstrom, Fabian Brunnstrom and Drew Miller enthusiastically welcoming employees to work at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan’s downtown Detroit location.
- Jimmy Howard and Johan Franzen surprising Szott Dodge staff in Highland, touring the dealership and handing out free Red Wings tickets to several customers.
- Ian White, Cory Emmerton and Jakub Kindl bagging groceries and hosting a rousing round of Supermarket Sweep at a Kroger in Birmingham.
- Niklas Kronwall and Patrick Eaves bringing breakfast to employees and stacking tires at Belle Tire in Allen Park.
- Pavel Datsyuk and Jiri Hudler serving coffee and donuts to Tim Hortons patrons at the popular fast casual restaurant chain’s Southfield location.
Photos and video footage from all of the above locations can be found at DetroitRedWings.com.
The undefeated (4-0-0) Red Wings return to the ice on Friday, October 21 at 7:30 p.m. when the Columbus Blue Jackets pay a visit to Joe Louis Arena for the first of six meetings set to be staged between the rival clubs this season. As part of the ongoing ‘Fathead Fridays’ promotion, all fans in attendance for this intradivisional showdown will receive a free Jimmy Howard 5”x7” Fathead Tradeable compliments of Quicken Loans, Fathead, and 97.1 The Ticket. Tickets to all upcoming Red Wings home games can be obtained at the JLA Box Office (313-396-7575), all Ticketmaster (800-745-3000) outlets, and online at DetroitRedWings.com.