Attention High School Students:
Sign-up a group of your peers to serve your community!
Win Red Wings tickets, a tablet PC, other great prizes and
a chance to be recognized at a Red Wings home game!
S.H.O.T.S. - (Students Helping Others Through Service)
The Detroit Red Wings and Fifth Third Bank are pleased to announce the fourth year of their S.H.O.T.S. Program (Students Helping Others Through Service), an initiative designed to encourage Southeast Michigan high school students (grades 9-12) to volunteer their time and efforts and create a positive impact on their communities.
Contest – November 1, 2012 through February 28, 2013
Grand Prize Voting/Conclusion – April 11, 2013 (date subject to change)
Who can participate?
High school students (grades 9-12) enrolled in Genesee, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, St. Clair, Shiawassee, Washtenaw or Wayne County.
Teams of up to six students may register. No project too big or too small to enter!
How to participate:
1. Form your team of up to six students.
2. Register your team by clicking here or using the registration button at the bottom of this page
3. Your team will receive an email containing information on the program and the project report form that will need to be submitted in order to qualify for the prizes.
4. Collaborate and plan your projects, which may include
- Volunteering at a local soup kitchen, animal shelter, or assisted living center;
- Organizing your class/school for a community service event;
- Reading to or mentoring elementary students in your local district;
- Painting a house for a family in need, cleaning up a street or park, or starting a canned food drive
- Fundraising for a local charity by collecting returnable cans and bottles;
- Any other projects your team can put together for the greater good.
5. The sky is the limit with the S.H.O.T.S. program!
- Your team may complete as many (or as little) projects as you’d like: a five-month-long project, one project each month, multiple projects each month, or any other combination.
6. To compete for the monthly prizes, project leaders must submit their project report by:
- December 31 before 5 p.m. EST for December projects
- January 31 before 5 p.m. EST for January projects
- February 28 before 5 p.m. EST for February projects
7. The winning monthly teams will be announced approximately two weeks after project submission.
|Grand Prize Winner
(announced in March 2013)
|First-Place Monthly Winners (one each for Nov., Dec., Jan., Feb.)||
|Second- and Third-Place Monthly Winners (one each for Nov., Dec., Jan., Feb.)||
*Date subject to change
**The pizza party is for all of those who participated in the service project (up to 53 people) including teachers and students. All other prizes are only for the team of six (6) students and their teacher/advisor
For Teachers: The first 50 teachers to submit their student groups’ projects will receive a $50 gift card to purchase educational supplies for their classroom.
The judging panel for the S.H.O.T.S. program will be evaluating projects based on a combination of three categories and may consider the following questions, for example:
o Did your team think in a creative way to make the project happen?
o Did your team use creative resources?
• Community Reach
o Who was involved in your service project?
o Did the project engage others to get involved?
o Did you work with or for a local nonprofit?
o Who was impacted by your service project? What are their stories?
Judging panel includes:
Ken Kal “the Voice of the Red Wings” from 97.1 “The Ticket”
Pat Caputo of 97.1 "The Ticket" and The Oakland Press
Fifth Third Bank Key Executives
Buck and Coop of AMP Radio 98.7
Shannon Hogan of FOX Sports Detroit
Email questions regarding the Fifth Third Bank S.H.O.T.S. Program to firstname.lastname@example.org
Call to Kari Pardoe @ 313-394-1995 or Rachel Lupo @ 313-396-7514.