Military Appreciation Night
Presented by Applebee's
Every year, the Detroit Red Wings host Military Appreciation Night to honor military members on or around Veterans Day around Veterans Day.
Military Appreciation Night – Nov. 7, 2014
The Red Wings hosted the 2014 Military Appreciation Night on Friday, Nov. 7 at Joe Louis Arena as Detroit took on the New Jersey Devils. Fans who attended our 2014 Military Appreciation Night were encouraged to bring:
- Wet wipes (cleaning wipes like Clorox and individual hand wipes like Wet Ones)
- Hygiene items: travel size shampoo and conditioner, bar soap, deodorant, razors, shaving cream (not in an aerosol can), toothbrush and toothpaste, etc.
- Socks and t-shirts (must be dark brown or khaki)
- Holiday DVDs and items (i.e. Santa hats and Christmas stockings)
- Laundry detergent and fabric softeners (unscented)
- Chapstick and sunscreen
- Powdered drink mixes and individual packets
- Magazines, books and CDs
- Playing cards
- Disposable cameras
- Hard candy
Red Wings players wore camo jerseys during warm-ups, which were auctioned for more than $35,000 to benefit Help For Our Disabled Troops. Following the game, Danny DeKeyser met with Budd Lynch Suite guests and DeKeyser’s Hometown Heroes guest Gary Thompson, a U.S. Army veteran who was diagnosed with cancer because of chemicals he encountered while stationed overseas.
Fans in attendance on Military Appreciation Night were also encouraged to sign the “Detroit Red wings Support Our Troops” banner on the concourse. The banner was signed by the entire 2014-15 Red Wings team and was sent to a Selfridge Air National Guard Base troop stationed overseas.